Thursday, January 14, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - January 14, 2009

Since most of my “treasures” are found in the photographs I own, I will show you one I am quite proud to have in my possession.



John Monroe Bean
1866-1954

Actually, this isn’t even a photograph. It is a negative for a photograph, that was taken by my Uncle Richard Harriff [“Dick”]. Uncle Dick made his own negatives, and developed his own photographs. This helps to explain the poor condition of this self-made negative [that and the fact that the negative was found lying in the bottom of a trunk, fully exposed to all matter of junk and what-not, yellowing receipts, and papers, where it had lain for over 60 years.]

The photograph was taken in the 1930’s, and the subject is my paternal grandfather, John Monroe Bean.

While the negative is certainly not in the best condition, I am clearly able to see his face more. And to see the man whom my Dad called his father.

The photograph was taken between 1935 and 1939, roughly between the time John was 69-73 years of age.

When I look at this photograph, I see my own Dad today, who is roughly the same age. The resemblance is uncanny!




Dad with two of his grandson’s this past Christmas

3 comments:

Lori H said...

My photographs are my most treasured possessions as well.
Your father certainly does look like your grandfather. Isn't it wonderful how much more our children and grandchildren will know about their ancestors than most of us did?

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

A true treasure for sure! How fortunate you are to have it. Nice comparison. Thanks for sharing!!

Keep these ancestor stories coming!

Bill ;-)

http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

Cindy said...

The resemblance is unbelievable - they could be the same man!

I also want to comment on the magnet on the fridge... GO MOUNTAINEERS! :-)