Sunday, January 17, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Come Sunday Morning

As with most SNGF challenges, I am the next morning before getting to respond! Here is Randy's GeneaMusings Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenge:

Hey there, it's Saturday Night, time for more Genealogy Fun!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible music!), is:

1) Remember when you were 12 years old? On a summer day out of school? What memory do you have of fun activities?

2) Tell us about that memory (just one - you can do more later if you want to) in a blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a comment on Facebook.

Here is my response!
 
It is 19[uh-hum - let's not even go there! Just know I am 12 years old!]; it's a hot summer day in Norfolk, Virginia. I hop on my bike [yeah, it was one of the cool new spider-bike's, with the new-fangled banana seats with "flower power" designs printed on it, and had a straw basket on the front covered in "groovy" flower-power flower petals!]. I fly over to my friend Debbie's house, where she gets on her bike, and we ride over to James' house. Where somehow we just know that Kenny will also be hanging out. Here we taunt and tease the boys, who really have no use for us, but with whom we are definitely entrigued. Before we know it, the boys are mounting up on their own bikes and chasing us through the neighborhood.
 
After what is probably a couple of hours of hot pursuit, we finally end up back at my house where cold glasses of ice-tea await us. Later Mom pops my sister,Eydie,  Debbie and I into the car, and off we head to the beach, where we spend several hours frolicking in the surf and sand. We know we can always look toward shore and there would be Mom, sitting back with a book, but with one eye warily keeping watch over her charges. If we got washed too far down the beach and looked back to her, we would see her wave to us to move the play back up closer to her watch, and we would make our way back toward her.
 
Afterwards we would dry off, head to the car, and stop at the local High's Ice-Cream parlor for a triple scoop of peppermint, pistachio, and butter nut ice-cream [or at least that's what my cone would have on it!]. Frantically licking our cones to keep them from melting all over us, we'd head back to the car and home.
 
"I never can understand why playing in the water just wears you girls out!", Mom would always exclaim.
 
Nothing heavy for dinner on a day like this! Mom would make us bologna and cheese sandwiches for the evening. And afterward cut open a watermelon that had been chilling in the fridge. The cold, wet sweetness would slide right down after a busy day!
 
Debbie would spend the night, and we'd crawl into my bed, all three of us, my sister, Eydie, Debbie and I [I was the one with a double-size bed], and we'd giggle until way past midnight when Mom would come tiptoeing in and say, "Okay girls, that's enough for tonight!" Finally we'd drift off.
 
It was a great day!

No comments: