Monday, December 14, 2009

Advent Calendar -December 14, 2009



Did you like fruitcake? Did your family receive fruitcakes? Have you ever re-gifted fruitcake? Have you ever devised creative uses for fruitcake?

Okay, so maybe I’m one of the few, but I LOVE fruitcake! It is one of my most loved of Christmas goodies! [That and old-fashioned English plum pudding!]

Our family didn’t receive many fruitcakes as gifts, although I can recall once or twice getting them. We did however gift them! Mama made the absolute best fruitcakes! Yum!!!

Today I give them. These aren’t your usual fruitcakes, but are moist and full of large fruit chunks and nut halves. Many times we soak them in rum for a month before serving them for Christmas. [Of course, you can take one of those dry, old, store-bought versions and make it not only palatable, but Christmasy, by doing the same thing! But, there isn’t anything better than our fruitcakes, which have been allowed to ferment and taste delish!

Ever re-gifted fruitcake? Heck no!!! I enjoy them too much!

Creative uses for fruitcake?

Well…. I guess I have come up with a few. Let's see....

Fruitcake for breakfast,

Fruitcake for lunch,

Fruitcake for dinner,

And I’ll have some for brunch.




Give me a cake full of rich fruit,

Soaked long in rum or brandy,

Tasty and rich, we call it de-lish,

Fruitcake is better than any candy!



[Hey… so a poet I ain’t! But I bet ya never look at fruitcake the same!]

No comments: