Sunday, February 7, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Come Sunday Morning

Here's the challenge issued last night from over at GeneaMusings :
It's Saturday Night - time for some Genealogy Fun!! It's also Super Bowl Eve...


Many American residents are focused on Sunday's Super Bowl XLIV to decide the championship of the National Football League. After 20 weeks of play, the Indianapolis Colts (16-2) are favored by 5 points over the New Orleans Saints (15-3) in the game to be played in Miami, Florida in an outdoor stadium on real grass, starting at 3:30 p.m. (PST). The pre-game hype, er, programs, starts on Sunday morning on CBS.

So, your mission, if you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible theme), is to:

1) Tell us about your dream game of the Super Bowl of Genealogy!

* Where would it be played?

* What teams would play?

* Who would be the head coaches?

* Who would be the stars of the game?

* Who would win?

* Who are the cheerleaders?

* If you were playing in the game, what would be your dream play?

2) Who do you think will win the NFL Super Bowl Colts-Saints game on Sunday? Your score prediction, please!

3) Post your thoughts on your own blog, on a Facebook comment or Note, or as a comment on this blog post.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Randy! Come on!!! My least favorite thing of all time... comparing ANYTHING to a football game!!!
UGH!!!

Sorry guys, but I am not, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, interested in this sport! [Soccer? Maybe. Basketbal... well... sometimes. But there are a few that's a NEVER: footbal and baseball.]

So, how do I write this one up folks?

Here I go:

1: Where would it be played?  On the computer field, where players have the best advantage for those "lightning fast" moves.

    What teams would play? Oh there is no doubt the Super Bowl of Genealogy would be played against Ancestry.com and Family Search.org, although there would be some great teams along the way in the playoffs! [One of my favorites is the WV Cultural link for WV vital statistics! As well as Footnote, Newspaper Archives, etc.]

    Who would be the main coaches? No doubt the CEO's of Ancestry and Family Search, Tim Sullivan and David Rencher.

    Who would be the stars of the team? Oh, my goodness! There are too many stars to be able to name them all! The really big ones? Definitely Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak, Dick Eastman for technical moves, Randy Seaver for running the plays [is that tantamount to the quarterback?], and of course, Arlene Eakle for finding those hidden moves that no one else could find or think of!

    Who would win? Come on! In a game like this??? We'd ALL be winners!!!

    Who would be the cheerleaders? Oh, so easy... that's our ancestors! Can't you just hear them standing on the sidelines?
    "Come on Megan .... She's our [wo]man!
     If she can't find us....No one can!"

    If you were playing in the game, what would your dream play be?  Well, not understanding the rules, so definitely not the plays, of football, I'll have to make up a comparison! My dream play would be Dick Eastman giving me the technical know how, Arlene Eakle then passes the info to me, Megan Smolenyak is plowing the field in front of me ...clearing every thing out of the way, and I run to the end field and SCORE!!!!  [By the way, I guess Randy Seaver sat this one out and let me play the quarterback!] In the stands are my ancestors and family members. They're on their feet and the cheers are nearly a roar! I break through the goal and do my victory dance!!! The crowd goes wild... and I am written in the annals of genealogy history for all time!!! [Yeah right!!! Naw... I'll leave this kind of dreaming to you big guys! Give me the occasional wall to break through, and I'm quite happy. For me, the pursuit is much of the fun!!!]

2: Who will win the Super Bowl, Colts-Saints? Final score?
    Oh, this so....got me into trouble for several years! I don't follow football [as obvious from the above post], but several years ago I made joking bets 6 years running, and just guessed at the outcome. Well, I won every one of those bets!!! [My ex-husband was furious!!! He followed the sport religiously and kept all the stats, etc.] And Randy you want me to do this again?
   Okay, I'll give it a whirl. Saints by 6 points. [I won't even begin to give you a final score!!!] I'll let you guys tell me how close I come.

No comments: