Thursday, February 16, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday - Mommy's Pearls

My Mother grew up on the tail-end of the Great Depression. She recalled how hard things were, and how they often did without when she was very small. When she became a teen, things began to get easier. And a few extras were finding their way into the home.

On Mommy's Sweet 16, she rceived her very first "expensive", and adult, gift. A string of pearls, which had been fashioned into a choker...

...a black velvet ribbon was woven through the beads, and tied behind the neck.

Mother wore these often.

When I turned 16, Mother presented these to me. I wore them for Church and special occasions only.

I once had them appraised by a jeweler. He issued me a warning to be cautious, as I was holding a small fortune in my hand... later, Grandmother told me that Grandpa had worked two full weeks for a man so that he could purchase the string of pearls for Mother's birthday.

I love having these little pearls near me. I sometimes bring them out, and string a new ribbon on them, and wear them for some special occasion. I hope to pass them on to one of my granddaughters one day.

Do you have a piece of jewelry that you hope to pass on to your children or grandchildren one day? 

1 comment:

Julie said...

What a treasure to have those pearls! I know you are so proud of them- they are beautiful!