Friday, February 17, 2012

Family Recipe Friday - Indian Corn Pudding


Our Family's Indian Corn Pudding

I wish I could even begin to tell you where this recipe originated in our family. I simply don't know. I do know that both of my grandmother's had copies of recipes called Indian Corn Pudding. Grandma Dreher's was much like this one, except she used more sugar and "canned cream" [evaporated milk] in hers.

This verion comes from a small piece of torn tabletpaper that my Grandma Bean had written the recipe on, and as written in pencil. I long ago lost the note paper [I'd give anything to have it today!], but I have this recipe, and knowing it was the one Grandma Bean used, makes me feel pretty happy!

I don't make this often. I usually save it for Thanksgiving Dinner, reminding everyone that it was Grandma's recipe, and how much I enjoyed hers. [Kind of like her custard! Savoring it at only special occasions!]

Here's the recipe. It's an excellent dish, and your family will love it!

Indian Corn Pudding

Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups fresh or frozen thawed whole kernel corn, cooked
4 large eggs  
4 cups milk
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly butter a casserole dish In a medium bowl whisk together & combine flour, salt, and sugar; mix in corn and melted butter. Beat eggs and add to milk. Stir into the corn mixture.
Place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and stir with long prong fork, disturbing the top as little as possible. [Stir lightly, using a long handled fork, run beneath the surface, and scrape the bottom of the casserole - disturbing the top as little as possible - thus the need for the long handle!]
Return to the oven for 10 more minutes. Repeat stirring procedure.
Return to oven for 10 more minutes. Repeat stirring procedure.
Return to oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Top should be lightly brown and pudding should be firm.

No comments: