Monday, May 10, 2010

Madness Monday


Okay, so I don't know why I have a case of the "jitters", but I do.

I am scheduled to speak before an afternoon group at the local library. They are estimating that 25 or so people will attend the talk I will present on "Beginning Your Family Tree", or "From the Roots Up".

But suddenly I am overwhelmed with a bad case of the heebie-jeebies!

While I am not a proliferic orationist, I have spoken before groups on several occasions. Some larger than this, some smaller.

So why am I nervous this time???

Of the 25 or so individuals who have signed up for this lecture, about 18 of them are former high school classmates!!! Several of whom have gone on to some pretty amazing career's! And here they will all be looking to me to be the "expert" in my field!

Oh, to have the looks of Megan Smolenyak, the ease of speaking to others as Dick Eastman, or the quick wit of Randy Seaver, or the "down-home"  at ease of Dr. Bill Smith!

I tell myself, "Take a deep breath, and relax!"

I step before the group....

... and I carry all of those individuals, and too many more to mention, right there with me as I open my mouth and begin the lecture, which flows easily from within me. My notecards never touched, I deliver the lecture, and at the close I answer questions from the group, and before we are dismissed by the local historical society president, I am awarded a standing ovation!

So, why the "Madness"?

For all of the jitters, the heebie-jeebies, and the nerves, I don't have another lecture scheduled!

Kind of like watching a scary movie, that was fun! When can I do it again??? LOL

By the way... thanks guys for all of your inspiration!!! Without listening to your lectures, your speeches, and reading your books and blogs, I don't think I could have made it through the afternoon!

1 comment:

Thomas MacEntee said...

You will do a great job! When I speak, I just think of it as a conversation - as if I'm meeting someone for the first time and telling them how wonderful genealogy is!

I'll be looking for the follow up post on how you did!