Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sentimental Sunday

Annette Eve's Cross Pendant

This is one of my most treasured items. It's monetary value is little. It's a small cross pendant made of brass. It was handcrafted, and is hollow. It measures about 2-inches by 1-1/4 inch in size. At its center is a diamond chip. It is hand tooled and feathered. And it is believed to have been made by Annette's husband, Joseph Eve. We do not know if it is older than that, but jeweler's have told me on two occasions that it appears to have been crafted between 1800 and 1860.

Annette was born in 1840. She married Joseph Eve in about 1856 or 1857. So it is definitely likely that Joseph made it for her.

Annette passed the pendant on to her daughter, Adeline "Della" [1867-1958]. Della married Frank Banet.

Della passed the pendant on to her daughter, Irene [1906-1989].

Irene passed it to her daughter, Lois [b. 1938].

Lois, my mother, passed it on to me a few years ago.

I wear the pendant often. I feel very connected to my ancestors when I wear it. I often wonder about the hardships they endured, and how they managed to get through, and I hold the cross and feel their strength passed on to me. So, when things look bleak, I am often found wearing the pendant. When things are troubling, I wear the pendant.

I'd like to think, I am comforted by those maternal women who came before me and wore this very same pendant.

4 comments:

FranE said...

What a special gift and connection. Thank you for sharing this.

Joan said...

What a wonderful treasure to have -- like wearing history. Beautiful.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What a specially perfect heirloom and a beautiful link to your female ancestors!

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

That's a lovely piece. I can see why it's such a treasured heirloom.