Friday, April 2, 2010

Receive Award

Today I received in my email the following from Lori at Genealogy & Me:

Today I was presented the "Ancestors Approved" award by Dionne Ford of the Finding Josephine Blog. As a recipient of this award I’m supposed to list ten things I have learned about any of my ancestors that has surprised, humbled, or enlightened me and pass along the award to ten other bloggers who I feel are doing their ancestors proud.


I have chosen to present you with the award.

Thanks for sharing your ancestor stories!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I am truly honored, and humbled, by being included in this award! And I shall try to do it justice by complying with the listing of ten things that have surprised, humbled or enlightened me:

1] My great-grandfather, William Bean, became a "double-agent" during the Civil War, although it meant estrangement with his own family at the time. How hard it must have been for him to have done this! But he stuck to his belief's that all men are created equal, and would not assist the Confederacy.

2] My great-grandmother, Margaret Perkins Bean, traveled hundreds of miles overland during the Civil War by oxen pulled wagon, to join her husband in Ohio. She went with 3 small children in tow. Crossing enemy lines, she perservered to be near the man she loved!

3] My grandfather, John Bean, was a deeply religious man, who died before I was born. He raised, in essence, three separate families. His first two wives dying before him. He fathered a total of 15 children, and loved each and every one alike. He mourned deeply over the loss of those children who died before him. His deep love for family has been an inspiration to me.

4] My great-great-great grandfather, Joseph Wiseman, was one of the first settlers in what is now West Virginia. He served in the Pennsylvania militia in the American Revolution, along with his father, my great-great-great-great grandfather, Isaac Wiseman.

5] My gr-gr-gr-gr-gr Grandfather, Isaac Wiseman Sr. was born on board ship coming to America from England in 1700. His mother, Elizabeth Renberg Wiseman, left her family and all that she knew to come to this new country. She gave birth, in some of the most primitive conditions, on board the ship coming to this country. Surviving that alone would have made her endearing. But to know that she raised a family of strong men and women who became settlers in the countries most wilderness areas makes her even more special to me. I can only imagine the fear and distress she must have endured in her lifetime!

6] My great-uncle, Henry Edward Dreher, died on board ship, on his way to Suserne, France during World War I. Although buried at sea, there is a marker for his death in Suserne. To the best of my knowledge, he is the closest relative I have that died during World War I.

7] My great-grandmother, Josephine Benzel Dreher, was among the World War I mothers to be sent overseas to visit the graves of their sons who had fallen. When the ship passed over the quadrants marking the area where her son was buried at sea, it paused and allowed her time to commemorate the death of her son there. I have postcards and letters she mailed to her family in Indiana during her trip. She was greatly moved to be allowed to stand there, and also in Suserne, where so many had fallen.

8] My grandfather, Henry Dreher, Jr., was a nutritionist, even before it was cool! It seems that grandpa practiced some very ancient techniques of internal cleansing, and diet! Unfortunately, I was unaware of these practices until after his death in 1977. I would have loved to have been able to discuss these with him! Especially now that I have also taken interest and am practicing a more holistic lifestyle!

9] My aunt went totally bald when she was in her 30's! I never knew! She always wore a wig, and I never heard anyone mention anything about it before! Now that I am finding myself in some extreme hair loss crisis, I don't feel so all alone knowing this may be part of my genetics!

10] The number one thing that has so impressed and inspired me in discovering my family ancestry, has been the deep love they have all had for this country! The number of men and women who have served in our armed forces from the Revolution, to the war of 1812, Civil War, Spanish American War, World War's I & II, Korean, and Vietnam Wars, are overwhelming! So overwhelming that I am planning a book to commemorate them, each and every one!

I am honored to be among the descendants of so many great individuals!

And so now comes the hard part.... passing this award on to 10 more individuals!

There are so many who deserve this award, that I cannot begin to choose only a few! So, I will take the 10 that first come to mind, but please know, just because I don't list you here, doesn't mean you aren't among my favorites! There are just too many to name!!!

1: Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories
2: Before My Time
3: Circlemending
4: Genealogy's Star
5: Georgia Black Crackers
6: Granite In My Blood
7: Life From The Roots
8: The Armchair Genealogist
9: The Family Curator
10: Zalewski Family Genealogy

Again, I am deeply grateful to have been included in this award!

Happy Easter to All!

3 comments:

Jean Hibben said...

Thank you for the honor of the award. Glad that my blog can inspire others.

Barbara Poole said...

Hi Texicanwife, Thank you so much for the "Ancestors Approved" award. I am moved, especially because it comes from somebody new to me. I am now your follower and look forward learning from you. Again thank you.

Lynn said...

Thank you for the award. I will do it best to pay it forward and enjoyed reading about your very colourful ancestors.