Friday, February 4, 2011

Family Recipe Friday....Deutsch Chops

My Grandpa Dreher was German, through and through. Grandma came from French stock, but she cooked to please Grandpa, and his every meal required meat and potatoes! This was one of his favorites.

When I spent two years in Germany, I simply had to have this dish each time we went out to eat. I was instantly transported back to my Grandmother's kitchen, where I was warmed by the fire as I sat, mouth watering, waiting for her to set the table with this delicious gem!

Enjoy!!!

Deutsch Chops

Serves 6

Ingredients:
6 medium pork chops [bone in]
Polska Kielbasa [1-pound cut into 1-inch lengths]
Bavarian style sauerkraut [with caraway seeds], divided
6 large Russett potatoes - peeled and quartered
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit.
Place pork chops in the bottom of a 13" x 9" baking pan. Salt and pepper to taste.
Place one-half of a large can of Bavarian sauerkraut [about 1/2 pound] over chops.
Place cut kielbasa over sauerkraut.
Place potatoes over kielbasa.
Top with remaining sauerkraut.
Sprinkle brown sugar over all.
Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake approximately 75 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
Serve while hot, making sure that each plate receives portions of all ingredients.



1 comment:

TCasteel said...

I planning to give this one a try tonight! :-)