Sunday, February 27, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #9 - Sounds

Week #9 – Sounds

Week 9: Sounds.  Describe any sounds that take you back to your childhood. These could be familiar songs, jingles, children playing, or something entirely different.

Okay, so maybe this is a bit of an odd one for some people.

The sound that rushes me back to my childhood, is the sound of cast iron hitting a stove top.

Yep... that sound that your cast iron skillet makes as it comes in contact with your stove burner. [You cooks out there know exactly what I'm talking about!] No other cookware sounds the same.

That sound meant that Grandma or Mama were frying up potatoes and onions, or making a pan of cornbread!

Today I hear that sound frequently in my house, and my main cookware is cast iron [it simply can't be beat!]. Cast iron is not only durable, lasting a lifetime, you can also pass it down to your great-grandchildren... how do I know? I have a cast iron skillet that belonged to my Great-Grandma Banet! She gave it to her daughter when she married. Who in turn gave it to my Mama when she married. Who in turn gave it to me when I married!

I'm simply drawn back when I hear that familiar little clang!!!

What sounds reminds you of your choldhood???

No comments: