Sunday, February 20, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #8

Week #8 – Technology

Week 8: Technology.  What are some of the technological advances that happened during your childhood? What types of technology do you enjoy using today, and which do you avoid?

Oh my!!! This is a loaded question!!!

While I was born in 1959, you won't believe everything that has happened in my personal lifetime! [I'm sure I'm not alone at being amazed at this!]

While the microwave was already invented by the time I was born [invented in 1946], it didn't become a household appliance until Amana produced the first domestic oven in 1967. And even then, alot of of people were a little afraid of it. It was big, bulky, and had a top power of only 1000 watts! Today I do use a microwave on occasion. Mostly for heating up left overs. I do not utilize it for cooking, but enjoy cooking on the stove top much more!

The first human space flight did not occur until 12 Apr 1961 when cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin went to space!  And you can bet your bottom dollar, I was glued to the television when men first landed on the moon on 20 Jul 1969! We all were!!! It was truly an historic event that no one in our country wanted to miss!!!

The first call on a portable occurred in April 1973 by Martin Cooper. The phone weighed over 2 pounds!!! I do own a cell phone, but mine is never turned on. I simply have one for emergencies when I am on the road. I bet in the 7 years I've had this phone I haven't made more than 12 calls on it! It doesn't do anything special. Simply is a plain cell phone that makes calls [I can't even text on it!] Hubby insisted I have it since we live rural, and I often travel for genealogy research and business and might need it if I broke down somewhere along a lonesome road. Hasn't happened yet... but ya never know!

While the electric toothbrush was invented in 1938, the first one to hit the American market wasn't until 1960 and was marketed by the Squibb company under the name Broxodent. No... I don't have an electric toothbrush. Never liked the things. Tried one as a kid, and I never liked them!!! Give me my old fashioned hard bristled toothbrush and dental floss and I am happy as a clam!!!


The first hand held calculator was not invented until 1967 by Texas Instruments. Even throughout my college years, these were not allowed in the classroom. When my own children began school and they were a mandatory part of their classroom equipment... I actually went to the school to make sure I was receiving the correct list! Yes... my third grader was required to have his own calculator. Unfortunately, my children rely upon a calculator for the simplest of mathematical problems, even today, as adults. On the other hand... while I have a calculator, and do on occasion utilize it... I most often found using a tablet and pencil when figuring up numbers I need!!!
The first personal computer was not truly invented until 1976 for Apple by Steve Jobs and Steve Woznak. Although technically, Xerox created ALTO in 1972, it was Apple that first marketed the PC.

Obviously from my web presence, I have a PC. However, I do not own a blackberry, iPhone, iPad, or other technological gadget that would allow me to connect with the Internet otherwise. I own a Dell All In One...

... I've had this one for about 12 months now and love it!!!

But when was the computer itself invented?
The Z1 originally created by Germany's Konrad Zuse in his parents living room in 1936 to 1938 is considered to be the first electrical binary programmable computer.

Can you believe that my first computer training was using punch cards for a Xerox that was as big as my entire living room???

Hubby now uses a netbook that is only 6" x 8"!!!

I could go on and on... cameras have evolved like nobodies business! My first camera was a Brownie! [Remember those? You had a square viewer through the top of the camera, and had to look down into the camera to get a refracted image in order to take the picture!]


Today I use a Kodak digital camera that I can use a portable storage card in and upload the photos directly to my computer and print off. No taking the film to a camera shop and having the film developed and waiting a week or more for the pictures!

Movies?
Had to go to the drive-in or the theater for watching movies!!!
We've gone from VHS to DVD to Blue Ray here!!!

And what about cable tv? The first pay cable television was not out until November 1972. [It was NEVER available where I lived until AFTER I was married!] Today not only is cable television available, but so is satellite and in all of its many forms!!!

Yes, I do have cable. It also brings in my computer's internet service, which we route wirelessly in the home. We also have a box that connects to our home's router that brings in rental movies through a system known as Netflix! We rent a movie and watch it streaming directly to our television!!!

Debit cards are another thing that came along in my lifetime.

When Hal Lindsey wrote The Late Great Planet Earth he described such things as the debit cards, and computerized money transactions at the gas station and grocery store, as well as the bar code system. We all thought he was crazy then [1970]. Little did we know... he knew exactly what he talked about! [Yes... these things were known then and the bugs were being worked out of them way back then!]

Yes... I have a debit card. Use it almost exclusively as a matter of fact.

Electronic gas pumps are another new thing! Use them as well! Swipe my card, fill my tank... all the time!

Electronic books and libraries!!! Who'd have thunk???
Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader... got them all. But I STILL prefer a regular book any day. My house is room to room book cases, and I wouldn't trade a one for a Kindle full of them! There's just something about curling up with a book, a warm blanky, and fire in the fireplace, that doesn't compare with curling up with a Kindle! So while I have them... I seldom ever use them, unless there's material I want immediately and can download.

I am sure I could go on.

I remember my Grandmother saying the same thing I say today... the world has certainly changed into a scary place since I was a kid!

Thanks for this prompt. It really made me think!!! My grand children are going to get such a kick out of this one!!!

No comments: