Saturday, August 25, 2012

SNGF - Ancestor Name Roulette


Well, that mischievous fella over at Genea-Musings, Randy Seaver, is at it again, with another great challenge! So, here’s the challenge:

1) What year was one of your great-grandfathers born? Divide this number by 50 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."
2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ancestral name list (some people call it an "ahnentafel"). Who is that person, and what are his/her vital information?
3) Tell us three facts about that person in your ancestral name list with the "roulette number."

  Well, this one has taken a bit of noodle thumping to get! Why? Because the roulette number was an ancestor I know very little about yet!

   So, let me go through this so you’ll understand [I have a tendency to get ahead of myself! Not a good thing!]

   I chose my great-grandfather, Stephen Ledford Faudree as my jumping off point. [He was my Grandma Bean’s father.] Stephen was born in 1857.

    So, I took the 1857 and divided that by 50. The answer [you brainiacs already know] was 37.1. So I rounded it down to 37.

    Next, I went through my Ahnentafel and my number 37 was none other than my great-great-great grandmother, Elizabeth Bonderant Perkins.

    So, I’ve been at this a few years, I should have quite a few facts stored up by now. Right?

    Wrong!!!

    To begin with, I haven’t even been able to prove that her maiden name was Bonderant. [Some recent controversy makes one pause and wonder on that!]

    So, what can I tell you about her? And do I actually know three facts about her?

    Let’s examine Elizabeth a bit closer and see what I can give you as facts.

    1]  We know her name was Elizabeth, as she is listed as the wife of James Perkins in his 1825 Greenbrier County, [West] Virginia Will.

    2]  She married James Perkins about 1768 in Washington County, Virginia.

    3]  She was the mother of at least 11 documented children: James, Jr., Thomas, Samuel, Jeremiah Maston, Levin, William, Andrew, Elizabeth, Sarah, Marian and Elenor.

   There, I did it! Three Facts!

    What about you? Why not give this a try yourself, and see what you come up with? You’ll never know if you don’t get out your files and give it a go!

No comments: