Friday, December 23, 2011

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 23

December 23 - Christmas Sweetheart Memories
Do you have a special memory of a first Christmas present from a sweetheart?
My very first Christmas with my husband, Texican, was in 1997. Both of us had given up on any kind of romance. I was in my late 30's and he ten years older than I. Both of us had been married before [both of us more than once before!]. But in October of that year, fate brought us together. 

Love did, indeed, bloom. And it was as if it was our very first romance!

I was battling oat cell cancer when we met. And was given only a six-month prognosis. I was also the single mother of five [yes five!] teens. What began as something to offer me hope, grew to so much more!

On December 15th he asked me to marry him! But because of my illness, I said no.

He asked three times over the next few weeks. Each time I refused, reminding him that I didn't want to get married, simply to leave and have him deal with a burial and my children!

Finally, on Christmas Eve, he asked again. And I will never forget his words this time. He said that he'd rather have a single moment with me, than a lifetime without me! [How sweet is that?]

And I said yes.

The next day was Christmas, and he handed me a big box with a red bow. Inside the big box was a lot of tissue paper! And down among the tissue paper was a much smaller box. And inside... a one carat diamond engagement ring!!!

How did you spend your first Christmas together?

Our first Christmas was spent the first half with my sister and my parents. Then we came home and the seven of us spent the remainder celebrating together. It was our very last Christmas with all of us together. By the next... three of my children had flown from the nest! So... it was a treasured, doubly-treasured!, Christmas!

Any Christmas engagements or weddings among your ancestors?

I haven't found any evidence of any Christmas engagements or weddings among my ancestors. Although my maternal grandparents and my parents were married on December 12th, which meant we celebrated all month long in our house!

As a child, our Christmas tree was put up on my parents anniversary! So, I relished the time!

Were there any Christmas engagements or anniversaries in your ancestors?

No comments: