Friday, December 16, 2011

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 16

December 16th - Christmas at School

What did you or your ancestors do to celebrate Christmas at school? Were you ever in a Christmas pageant?

As I was growing up, it was common for the schools to hold  Christmas pageant. Each grade would do something special to contribute. The younger grades might sing some simple carols [ie: Jingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman, etc.], while the older ones might tell and act out the Christmas story of Mary and Joseph and Baby Jesus. Everyone had a part to play. The band, or orchestra [depending upon the school] might play music for the entire performance, or they might play as a group or individually [I was a violinist and often played for school performances].

I know that my mother performed in Christmas pageants at school. Dad says that he helped out, but did not perform. My Grandma Dreher told me once that they "didn't have time for such nonsense back then", as there was too much work to be done at home. [I think she simply didn't want to talk about it! LOL]

Grandpa Dreher once told me that he sang in school, and I can surely imagine that! He was a wonderful baritone singer as an older man! I can close my eyes and relax and still hear his wonderful voice as he sang "Stille Nacht" to me! [I miss you still Grandpa!]

Do you continue to participate in Christmas pageants? Did you as a child? Did your ancestors?

1 comment:

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

It is nice to see something that continues through the generations, like school concerts. Listening to our children sing at Christmas concerts always brought back memories of my own school years.