Saturday, December 3, 2011

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 3

December 3 - Christmas Tree Ornaments
Did your family have heirloom or cherished ornaments? Did you ever string popcorn o cranberries? Did your family or ancestors make Christmas ornaments?

Mama had the most amazing German mercury glass ornaments when I was a child. I am sure they are still at my sister's; packed away in tissue paper in one of the cardboard boxes that Mama kept them.


I used to love to carefully remove the many ornaments from their packing and help to hang them on the tree! There were bells, like the ones above; miniature Santa's, and long cone shaped icicles. And when the lights from the tree reflected from these treasures, they were absolutely beautiful to me!

As the years wore on, Mama often crocheted simple ornaments for the tree. And I have continued to do this. I have made icicles, snowflakes, garland, angels and many more items.

My Grandma Dreher also crocheted and in her later years helped to make some crocheted ornaments. My Grandma Bean made corn husk ornaments an simple wheat sheaf wreaths.

I still string popcorn for the tree every year! Although when I have made a designer tree I sometimes hang the popcorn from the mantle rather than the tree!

Did your ancestors make homemade ornaments? Did or do you now? Do you ever string popcorn?

These are traditions that we can pass onto our children and our grandchildren.


No comments: