Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 13

Holiday Travel -
Did you or your ancestors travel anwhere for Christmas?
I do not know if any of my ancestors traveled for Christmas, but suspect that they did not, as they all lived within short distances of the rest of their families.

To the best of my knowledge, we traveled twice during my growing years at Christmas. Once, when I was about 4 spending Christmas with my Grandma Bean in West Virginia. And another time, when I was about 10, spending Christmas with my Grandma and Grandpa Dreher, in Indiana/


How did you travel and who traveled with you? Do you remember any special trips?
We traveled by car for both of the above trips. Which was no small feat in those days, and the Interstate system did not extend all the way in either of those directions! It was a full days trip to get to West Virginia back then from Norfolk, Virginia. And it took two days of hard driving to get to Indiana!

Those are the only Christmas trips that I can recall. Most years, Daddy was gone, board a ship at sea [he was a career US Navy sailor]. Usually it was simply Mom, my sister and I at home. So travel was not a real option for us. [Back then, young ladies did not travel alone so much, and especially long distances with two small children in tow!]

No comments: