Monday, December 12, 2011

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 12

Charitable/ Volunteer Work

Did your family ever volunteer with a charity such as a soup kitchen, homeless or battered women's shelter during the holidays? Or perhaps were your ancestors involved with church groups that assisted others during the holiday?


I grew up in a Naval town, and while there were the YMCA for the homeless, I don't ever recall any other organization for the needy at that time.

However, we later moved to the mountains of West Virginia, and here my family became very active in the church. Each Christmas a food and toy drive were held for the needy and my parents were always right in the middle of it. We would help to deliver the many boxes of goodies for the needy on Christmas Eve.

While my parents did this, I do not ever recall my Grandparents speaking of doing this. Although I know that they were quick to assist anyone in need at any time of the year!

No comments: