Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sentimental Sunday - Grandpa Dreher

Henry Dreher [1902 - 1977]

Grandpa was a restless one at night. He had extremely bad back pain, and suffered with migraines his entre life. He was often "up for the day" by 3:00a.m.

I remember waking up as he would come into the living room when we visited [my sister and I slept on a pallet or rollaway in there].

"Lay back down little one, it's still the middle of the night. I'm going to sit here and read my Bible while you sleep, and God and I will watch over you."

Grandpa was a real student of the Bible. He could argue theology with the very best, and most degreed of ministers and theologians. And he would sit and tell me Bible stories when I was little. As I got older he would ask me questions regarding theology, principals, and various religions.

I own Grandpa's Bible today. He read from a large family Bible. It always brings me delight to handle it.

And I read from my own Bible each day. Studying. Learning. 

Grandpa passed from this life in 1977. It was probably the hardest funeral I have ever had to attend. And I miss him dearly.

In November of 2003 I was ordained a non-denominational minister. And I felt strongly that on that day Grandpa was looking down on me. Him and God. Watching over me.



****Did you remember to set your clocks back one hour last night???

No comments: