Friday, November 4, 2011

Family Recipe Friday - My Birthday Cake

Okay... so maybe that tells you what today is...yep. The old Texicanwife is another year WISER!!! Ha ha, you thought I was going to say something else, didn't ya? Well, I am that as well. But once you reach my age... birthday gifts and My Favorite Chocolate Cake are always welcomed!!!

When I was a child growing up, Mama would ask me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday. [She always wanted to buy me a bakery cake [and once or twice she did sneak one in]. I would always answer with the same kind of cake, year after year.

"Mayonnaise cake with coconut-pecan frosting!", I would reply. Always quite enthusiastically I might add!

Even today, the thought of Mama's mayonnaise cake sets me drooling! While I still have Mama with me, she is no longer able to cook. But the thought of that birthday cake... there was nothing any better! {Maybe I'll get out my Miracle Whip and cocoa and get to baking my own cake today!]


Mayonnaise Cake

2 Cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
4 Tablespoons Cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 cup salad dressing
1 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix dry ingredients, add salad dressing, water and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into greased and floured 9 by 13 inch pan or round cake pans. Bake for 35 minutes in 350 degree oven.

Allow to cool completely before frosting with your choice of frosting.

Lick, lick, lick... that's me licking the batter spoon!
Happy Birthday to me...
Happy Birthday to me...
Happy Birthday I've great cake...
Happy Birthday to me!

No comments: