Monday, November 7, 2011

Amanuensis Monday - John Bateman's Will

LAST WILL & TESTAMENT OF JOHN BATEMAN

Source: Chester County, Pennsylvania Courthouse

Written: January 8, 1765

Recorded: March 9, 1765


Will of John Bateman Vincent Township Chester County Pennsylvania

Proved 9 March 1765


In the Name of God Amen. The Eighth Day of January in the year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty five

I John Bateman of Vincent Township Chester County in the province of

Pennsylvania, Yeoman, Being very Sick and weak in Body but of Perfect mind and memory, thanks be given to God therefore Calling to mind the mortality of my
Body and that it is appointed for all men once to Die, Do make and ordain this
my Last Will and Testament

That is to Say Principally and first of all, I give and Recommend my Soul into
the hands of God that gave it and for my Body I Recommend it to the Earth to be
decently Buried at the Discretion of my Executors; and as touching Such worldly
Estates wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life after paying all
my Lawfull Debts I Give, Devise, and Dispose of the Same in the following manner and form

First of all, I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Anne Bateman whom I make,
ordain, and constitute one of the executors of this my Last will and testament,
the one half of my Clear Estate after paying my Just Debts and the Legacies that
I Shall hereafter mention

also I give and bequeath to my Beloved Daughter Catherine married to David Evan the Sum of five Shillings to be paid in one years time from my Decease

also I give and bequeath to my Beloved Daughter Anne married to Elis Elis the
Sum of five Shillings to be paid in one years time from my Decease

also I give and bequeath to my Son in Law Andrew Geirce that was married to my
Daughter Susannah the Sum of five Shillings to be paid in one years time from my
Decease if he will Come and Demand it

also I give and bequeath to my Beloved Daughter Mary Married to John FitzSummons the Sum of five Shillings to be payd in one years time from my Decease

also I give and bequeath to my beloved Son Henry Bateman the Sum of ten
Shillings to be paid in one years time from my Decease

also I give and bequeath to my beloved Daughter Margaret married to James Evan the Sum of five Shillings to be paid in one years time from my Decease

also I give and bequeath to my beloved Daughter Martha married to Abraham Hammer the Sum of five Shillings to be paid as above

also I give and bequeath to my beloved Son John Bateman the Sum five Shillings
to be paid as above mentioned

also I give and Bequeath to my Beloved Daughter Sarah Bateman the Sum of five
Shillings to be paid as aforesaid

also I give and bequeath to my beloved Son William Bateman whom I make, ordain, and constitute the other Executor of this my Last will and Testament; the other Half of all my Clear Estate after paying my Just Debts, and the Legacies herein Mentioned

also I give and bequeath to my beloved Son Thomas Bateman the Sum of five poundsto be paid in two years Time from my Decease

also I give and bequeath to my beloved Daughter Hanah Bateman the Sum of three pounds, and a Cow, to be paid to her in three years time from my Decease

And I Do hereby utterly Disallow Revoke and Disannull all and every other former
Testaments, wills and Legacies, Requests and Executors by me in any way before
this time named willed and bequeathed; Notifying and Confirming this and no
other to be my Last will and Testament, in witness whereof I have hereunto Set
my hand and Seal the Day and year above written

Signed, Sealed, Published, pronounced his
and Declared by the Said John Bateman   
as his Last will and testament, in the 
presence of us the subscribers                          his
                                                                   John  X  Bateman
                                                                           mark
          his
John  X Phillips Sr
         mark

              his
Morris  X Evan                                   John Martin Sr
             mark


****John Bateman [1696 - 1765] was my gr-gr-gr-gr-gr-grandfather. [John Bateman -> Henry Bateman -> Elizabeth Bateman -> Rachel Wiseman -> William McHarvey Bean -> John M. Bean Sr. -> Walter Beane -> Me!]


No comments: