Monday, March 22, 2010

Madness Monday - Needing the 36-Hour Day!

In the past few months I have been attempting to "expand" my horizons and stretch myself to include new projects and tasks. And while I have thoroughly enjoyed the extra projects I have taken on, I also note that I never have enough hours in the day to complete ALL of the tasks that I set out to perform!

I generally arise at 6:00 AM, shower, dress and take my medications and grab a quick breakfast, and head into my office. Here I make sure that the blog posts I have written over the weekend have posted themselves properly. I then make sure that they have been distributed to the various networking sites, and check for comments.

Next I set about to write my daily news blog, and commentary. As well as my health advocacy blog, which I add to throughout the day.

Following all of that, I set about to read emails. Now, due to the networking I have been doing, this can take any place from an hour to two hours. I weed through the ones that are obviously junk that the junk filter didn't seem to catch [I never have understood why it doesn't catch the obvious ones that can be so aggravating!] I set aside business emails that need to be answered but can wait until I finish up, and answer those that need to be addressed immediately right then.

Next I go through my news reader. Now this is one of my favorite times of the day. I make sure I grab a mug of hot tea, or cappuccino, and relax while I read not only the newspapers and news feeds, but also all of the genealogy and health blog posts from the last 12 hours. [Yep, I check it all twice daily!] This can take any where from an hour to sometimes 3-4!

Finally, I bring up the client information that I am researching, and I head to work. Never having to leave my comfy office chair, unless it is for field research [which seems to be happening at a more alarming rate lately!] If I am heading to the field, everything is generally put on hold, until I return, except for a quick check on the emails for ones that need to have response ASAP. Otherwise, research comes in about 11:30 to 12.

I work through until 1, when I break for lunch; and then I head back at 2. And from 2pm until 6:30 or 7 I am hard at work on the computer. I break for dinner, and then get back on the computer until bed time. [I live alone most of the time, except for weekends - hubby is a long distance truck driver, so I can spend all the time I want working!] Monday nights from 8-9 I watch Antique Roadshow. Tuesday night from 8-10 I watch Biggest Loser. And Friday night from 8-9 Who Do You Think You Are?

I am also attempting to write my first fiction novel. And read voraciously, always having 2 books going at once, and sometimes three. I also blog book reviews for one very well known book publisher, and blog reviews independently on just about anything I can get my hands on.

So... where's a girl supposed to find the time to do research on her own family tree?

My children are all grown, and I was told this would be the time of my life that I could finally take a deep breath and relax. Instead, I find myself running about maddeningly, and working at a more fevered pace than ever I did as a nurse! [I retired from nursing in 1999 after a 13-year career.]

But when I stand back and look at this hectic, fevered pace, and lifestyle I am living, while it can certainly be maddening....

....I wouldn't have it any other way!

1 comment:

Betty said...

I am a retired teacher and I have often felt this way myself! Never enuff hours in the day! Friends & relatives are always asking me what the heck I do all day--as if life simply stops once you retire! Anyway, good luck to you--may you have many interesting genealogy clients!