Thursday, March 18, 2010

Davy Crockett Is Gone

Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

Born Fess Elisha Parker, Jr. on 16 Aug 1924 in Fort Worth, Texas [he was quick to point out that real life Davy Crockett's birthday was August 17th], he played Davy Crockett for Walt Disney from 1954 to 1956. Later, from 1964 - 1970, he played Daniel Boone, another frontier hero.

Parker's huge idol status as "King of theWild Frontier" pretty much zipped up his career, stereotyping him forever.

How well I remember watching the Davy Cockett rerus on television. But it was as Kentucky frontersman Daniel Boone that he became my first hero!

Strange for a girl, you might say. Heck no! I was proud as peacock when my Mom got me a pair of buckskin, knee-high mocassins, just like Daniel Boone's! [Even today my favorite footwear are mocassins, and I attribute that to those early Daniel Boone days!]

I walked the forests of Kentucky with Daniel Boone and his sidekick Mingo [played by actor/singer Ed Ames]. I played in and outside of the fort with Boone's son Israel, and with his dauhter Jemima. I cooked over the fireplace with his wife, Rebecca. And I fell in love with the 18th century.

I was saddened to learn of Fess Parker's death this evening. Another legend has passed. But he will live on forever in hearts and our memories.

No comments: