Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

On Today's Family Tree Newsletter, Diane Haddad writes about finding the boyhood home of George Washington. She also mentions that archaeologists and historians have been unable to locate any signs of the fabled cherry tree that good ol' George was said to have chopped down as a boy. This all goes back to our blog post of a few days ago when we discussed family myths and legends versus fact.

Oh the stories can be fun, can't they? We can get ourselves all excited because great-grandpa told our grandpa that his great-grandpa served in the American Revolution with General Washington or rode with Paul Revere! Or whatever! All of our families have these stories of some long ago moment of fame.

When it comes to proving these moments however, many of us find out that there was no way any of this was possible, and it was all a family myth.

The point is, we should never allow this to discourage us! Who among us has not embellished our own "story" at some point in our lives, just to make us look the better person? If you can honestly answer that you haven't, then you didn't have the childhood most of us had! Yes, be truthful, we've all done it at some point in our lives. Do we want anyone to think any less of us for having done it? Of course not! It's the sum of who we are! And neither is the family myth or legend the sum of who your ancestor was! And remains today.

Wait a minute....did I just say who they remain today?

Yes, I did!

In each of us continues to live the hopes and dreams of our ancestors. Those who came before us. Don't believe me? Well, who among us does not wish for, and pray for, a better future for our children, our grandchildren, our great-grandchildren, etc.? We all do. And if we do, isn't possible our ancestors wished and prayed for us as well?

I have come to the realization that I know most of my ancestors better than I know most of my living relatives! I know that mine, at least, prayed over the welfare of this Nation and the generations that would follow them. And that means they prayed over me!

Me!

Kind of makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, huh?

As we celebrate this Holiday of Independence, why not take just a moment of the day and say a little prayer for this Country. For our future generations.

It looks like rain here, so I'm not sure I'll be spending much time outside, but I am planning a picnic. Whether it's on the patio or in the kitchen! I'm leaving in just a moment to go pick up my hubby at the local truck stop. He's actually making it home for the holiday! Then we're going to cook on the grill this evening and share a big meal with my parents.

Our children are spread all over this country: Chris and his wife, Patsy, are in Meadow Bridge; David and his daughter are in Las Vegas; Debbie and her partner, Cheryl, are in Portsmouth; Mike and his son are in Beckley; and the youngest, Crissy, is in Hebron. So, while our children move in their own little circles, we continue to have our traditions here. A cookout is a MUST! [Darn, just wish I'd remembered to pick up the fireworks! Do you think there's anyone with them on sale at this late time? Hmmm........]

Kick off your shoes and enjoy this glorious day of freedom! Remember the men and women who keep us free!

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

No comments: