Thursday, June 16, 2011

Treasure Chest Thursday

Archibald Marmaduke Beane
abt 1895

The son of William M. BEAN and Rachel WISEMAN BEAN, Archibald was born 06 Oct 1826 in Monroe County, [W] Virginia.

In 1849 he married Amanda SHIRES, who is believed to have died in childbirth in 1850 or 1852. They had two possibly three children.

In 1853, he married Margaret Ann DUNBAR, and they went on to have nine known children. Archibald's children traveled far and wide, some settling in Oklahoma, and others as far away as California.

Archibald died 31 Aug 1899 in Kanawha County, West Virginia. He is buried in the Teays Hill Cemetery in St. Albans.

2 comments:

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

Looks to be a tintype? I am always caught by the BEAN name since my husband has them in his lineage. His were Maryland to Kentucky Beans and I've never seen them spell it with an e on the end yet. It is my understanding they come from Ireland originally.

Cyndi Beane Henry said...

Lisa,
It was in my grandfather's generation that the "e" was added by some [but not all] of this particular line. For instance, while all of my grandfather's children [my Dad included] put the "e" on the ending, my grandfather and grandmother never did. So my grandfather's tombstone is without the "e". As are his parents, and his grandparents.

It is long believed that my great-great grandfather, William M. Bean, was born in Baltimore, MD. But proof positive has never been found.

DNA testing provides us with strong clues to Irish heritage. However, DNA testing has not linked us to any other Bean families in the US thusfar! It has certainly been a connundrum!