Saturday, March 5, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun.. Genealogy Fun!

Randy has another assignment for us!

It's Saturday Night - time for Genealogy Fun!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  When was the last time you had Genealogy Fun?  It could be research, conferences, a society meeting, or just talking with friends about your research, a favorite trip, etc.

2)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook status or comment.

This one wasn't a bit hard to come up with!

Since Christmas I have been working on my brother-in-law's genealogy as a gift for him on his upcoming birthday [this coming Tuesday!!!]. I am busily printing it out, even as I write this post!

This has been the most fun I've had in ages!!! The research was virtually non-existent for his family, on both side, so that I literally began from scratch with it. Lucky for me, the information available was so abundant, I could probably work non-stop for a full year and still have more to uncover! However, I've had to call a halt, simply because I've run out of time if I plan to give it to him by Tuesday! LOL

In my research, I was able to provide proof positive that he is descended from a true Mayflower Pilgrim, Richard Church; that Henry David Thoreau was a first cousin [5 times removed]; and that his mother's family were once scrivenor's in London! His great [many times great] grandfather was even given a small palace in the king's regard for him. [Not sure what a scrivenor was? Come on, just Google it!]

Thanks to the plethora of information now available online, I was able to provide copies of the actual documents providing proof! As well as an extra large assortment of photographs of people, places and sites to add to the history.

Just printing this research out, [only a little over two months], is requiring over 6 ink cartridges, and 1,500 sheets of paper! I have had to gather in 4 extra-large binders, and archival quality sheet protectors for the research.

I suppose it has been so much fun because there simply hadn't been any research done before on this family, and because I know he really wants it so badly. It has been a fun and exciting two months work!

I'm going to feel lost once I deliver this to him... it's simply been the most fun I've had in quite awhile!

1 comment:

dustbunny8 said...

What a lovely and thoughtful gift!
I enjoy your blog posts very much,thank you for sharing!