Saturday, March 26, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #13

The challenge this week is:

Week 13: Sweets. What was your favorite childhood candy or dessert? Have your tastes changed since then? What satisfies your sweet tooth today?

Oh what a wonderful remembrance this was!

As most children from my generation, candy was a luxury item that we didn't get often. It was a real treat!!!

The corner market had penny candy, where you could actually get three pieces of candy for a penny!!! A real bargain when all you got was 25 cents a week in allowance!

While Mama wouldn't have stopped us from spending our entire quarter on candy if we wanted to, I was one of those kids always saving for something else. A new pair of skates, a new bike, a new Barbie, etc.

However, there were those times when we would be out shopping with Mama, and she would make a special stop at the confectioner's [candy store for those of you who don't remember them being called that!]. And yes... there were stores that sold nothing but the absolute best of handmade and hand dipped candies!  My favorite wasn't one of the expensive chocolates. Instead, my favorite was a simple box of eight hand dipped coconut bon bons.

Their pretty pastel colors always seemed feminine and dainty! I would bring the little box home and tuck it safely away in my dresser drawer where no one would find it but me! And I would eat one piece a day until the last piece was gone. Sometimes, when I knew it would be a long while between the gift of one box and the next, I would take a kitchen knife and cut them in two! So I could then have 16 days of glorious coconut sweet goodness to last me!!!

Alas, there aren't any confectioner's in the rural area in which I now live, unless I am willing to pay a small fortune to purchase from the Greenbrier confectioner's! [Yep... I live just 1 minute from that glorious resort!] A half pound of bon bons at The Candy Maker would feed a third world child for a year! LOL

However... I found a wonderful chocolatier in Kentucky, and when dear hubby was driving a truck, he would stop in at Rebecca Ruth and purchase the most amazing bourbon balls in the world!

Touted as the inventor of the bourbon ball in 1919, this company delivers on confection pleasure! Although not cheap, at $30.50 for a pound... believe me when I say... this is a candy that makes the absolute best anniversary, holiday or Valentine gift for that someone special in your life! Hubby and I savor evey piece when we splurge for this purchase! 

And the good thing is that you don't have to head to the Bluegrass State  enjoy this treat! Rebecca Ruth ships all over the country! [No... I am not affiliated with the company in any way.... simply a HUGE FAN!!!]

Yep.... I've come a long way from the three-piece for a penny candy day to this $30.50 per pound delight, but it's oh so worth it!!!

What was your favorite candy as a child? And today?

1 comment:

Dorene from Ohio said...

Your wonderful images are mouth watering! Great post!