Saturday, August 21, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Wild and Crazy Genealogist?

Randy's posted another SNGF challenge! From GeneaMusings:

"It's Saturday Night -- time for lots more Genealogy Fun!!! Hey there, geneabloggers and musings-readers, come on down!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, comes from a post by Lynn Palermo on The Armchair Genealogist blog titled Monday Madness - The Craziest Thing You've Done in the Name of Genealogy?

* What is the most wild, crazy, off-the-wall, or really stupid thing you have done in pursuit of your ancestral families and their family history?

* Tell us about it in your own blog post, a comment to this post, or a comment or status on Facebook. "

Well, I had to sit and think about this one a bit. My first thought?

Have I actually ever done anything wild and crazy in regards to my genealogy research???

Well... not really.

Or.... have I?

Hmmmm.... it would seem that a memory came back to me of a time when I was about 16 years old or so, when I attended a pajama party.

I know you ladies will relate to this. Remember the Bloody Mary challenge? [You stand in front of a mirror in a darkened room and call for Bloody Mary to appear, and supposedly she will appear in the mirror.]

I'm sure you will also recall those teenaged seances? You light a candle in a darkened room, all the girls sit in a circle holding hands, [seated on the floor???], and you call on the spirit of a dead person to come to the circle and answer questions.

It was at about this age when I discovered that not only my great-grandfather, but my great-great-grandfather [who shared the same name] died from a gunshot wound to the head, 26 years apart.

And so, in the throes of teenaged dare, I called on the spirit of both men to come to the circle so that I could ask them about their parentage!

Ahhhh.... but sad to say, neither man's spirit attended the meeting, and I was left without any answers.

Seems, those questions have never been answered!!!

The problem is, I don't know if I am relieved they did not come when we called upon them, or if secretly, to this very day, I wish they had!!!

No comments: