Sunday, September 2, 2012

SNGF - What Type of Genealogist Are You?


Well Randy, you’ve certainly got us all thinking again this evening! Here’s tonight’s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenge:

Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) Read Lorine McGinnis Schulze's blog post What Type of Genealogist Are You? (25 August 2012).
2) Answer the questions, and write about them!!

  So I’ve read the article [by the way, great article Lorine!].

I am definitely a Hunter-Detective. I love the thrill of the hunt! The deeper the dig for facts, the more I love it! When it comes easy, I’m always suspicious! I’m always looking through one more paper, one more document, thinking of one more place to go to, one more source to check! And I love working not only on my own family research, but  strangers as well. [I’m currently working on two other individuals, and nothing I am working on is related to me!]

  While I am not a Gatherer, I can say my DH is! He’d rather let me do the work, and simply write him a report, or hand him a finished tree!

  I am not a Hoarder. I am always willing to share information with others.

  I am not a Junkyard Collector either! I do not merge trees with my own. I learned early on with the computer that I didn’t like doing that! If there were no source citations, then there were ridiculous errors found later on! [Ever see a family tree where Uncle Joe was born in 1929, but he married his wife in 1910? Yep… hate when that happens!]

  I am the Scholar, I am a stickler for source citations. Recently I was asked if I had a source for every entry in my genealogy program. I am pretty sure that now I have. Years ago I used to add facts and data without ever taking the time to add sources and citations. I spent several years correcting that error! Although a Scholar, I have not yet submitted any papers or articles to journals, etc.

  I am not the Analyzer. Unfortunately for me, I am one of those individuals [I’m sure you have noticed!] who quickly runs off on a tangent, not only when speaking, but also when doing research! I’d hate for anyone to think I have an analytical mind and try to draw conclusions from how I perform research!

  That being said, I don’t suppose I have to tell you I am also not the Planner. I’ve tried using logs and spreadsheets. Honest! I really have! [Don’t laugh! I know you’re laughing now! Stop it! It’s not funny, cause I really have tried!] I simply decide I’m going to look for a bit of information, and then I’m off to do just that. And yes, I know, sometimes I repeat the same research a couple of times before it hits me between the eyes that I’ve already done that, or looked there, or made a note of that, etc. It may be a waste of time… but that’s okay.

  What’s that, you say? It’s okay?

  Yes, it’s okay.

  How many people do you know that get to do what they love every single day? I’d wager not many.

  Do I make a living off of it? Some months I do. Some months I don’t make a dime.

  And that’s okay, too!

  Why?

  Because genealogy and all that it involves is my passion! Recording the past and how it lead up to today is what gives me courage to face every single day. To get out of bed in the morning. [DH says I sometimes talk about Census records in my sleep!]
Image via here.

  Hey, with my passion, it was a toss up between genealogy and archaeology! And genealogy won out, simply because it was less dirty.

  Well….most of the time anyway!

No comments: