Friday, September 7, 2012

Family Recipe Friday - Weinerschnitzel



As I’ve said many times, my heritage comes from German and French stock on my mother’s side. I had the blessing of being able to spend two years in Germany several years back. And one of my favorite dishes was weinerschnitzel. I love it served with a side of pickled purple cabbage. So very good!!!

I had tried a variety of ways to make it, when I came across this recipe that my Granny Dreher had.  She simply had no name listed for it. But it’s the real deal!!! And as good as any I ever ate when in Bavaria!

 

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. veal cutlets
flour
3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 tsp. minced parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. milk
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
6 tbsp. butter
4 slices lemon

Preparation
Place each chop between two sheets of plastic and pound with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer until thin (1/4" - 3/8"). Dip meat into flour and coat.

Blend together cheese, eggs, parsley, salt, pepper and milk. Dip cutlets into this batter, coat with crumbs and refrigerate for 1 hour. Cook breaded cutlets in butter until golden brown on both sides. Pour pan juices over cutlets and serve with lemon slices.

Americans often try to “Americanize” this by serving it with French fries. Heaven forbid! I love the tart of pickled vegetables with this. If you must serve it with potatoes, serve it with mashed potatoes and make a cream gravy to serve over the meat and the potatoes. Sprinkle liberally with fresh ground black pepper.

You’re gonna love this!

1 comment:

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

This is awesome! Schnitzel is one of my favorite foods, but I have yet to come across a recipe that I like. I will definitely have to try this!