Friday, September 14, 2012

Family Recipe Friday - Mama's Tomato Gravy

Photo via here
 
I’ve mentioned here before, my Mama was, and still is, the best Mama in the world! However, Mama, hard as she tried, only excelled at a few dishes. She never truly mastered the art of using measuring tools, or sticking to a recipe. She would often substitute, and when she did… look out!
Still, there were a few dishes she was absolutely genius with. And this is one of those.
Mama no longer is capable of cooking. But there are times when I wish, just once, I could go back and have some of Mama’s tomato gravy! Sometimes we had cornbread with it [which was my favorite!] , and sometimes we had biscuits [Mama’s biscuits were more like really thick pie crusts than biscuits! – I know…. she tried!], but more often than not, Mama simply served the gravy over slices of white bread.
I’d be in heaven to have Mama’s tomato gravy today! And even when I do get a hankering and make it myself, it just doesn’t compare to the taste of Mama’s on my lips!
Years ago, when I first started out as a new wife [don’t ask how many years ago that was!] Mama wrote the recipe down for me. I came across the old recipe card the other day… and this is one I simply had to share.
 
Mama’s Tomato Gravy
  • 1/4 cup Bacon grease or shortening
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 can of whole tomatoes with liquid(crush tomatoes with your hands)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup of water
 

·       In large cast iron skillet, heat bacon grease or shortening
·       Stir in flour and lower heat to med. low
·       Keep stirring to brown flour to a dark stage.
·       Be careful not to burn. This takes a little while so don't try to hurry it up.
·       When flour gets to the dark stage, slowly stir in tomatoes with liquid.
·       Add water a little at a time while stirring tomato gravy.
·       Season with salt and pepper and simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes.
As I said, I love this over cornbread, or homemade biscuits. With a side of collard greens, you’ve got yourself a full meal!
 

No comments: