Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 12): Things That Go Bump in the Night

Over at Olive Tree Genealogy, each week we are given a prompt for leaving our memories behind for our descendants. This week we are to write about things that scared us when we were a child. Those things that go bump at night.
Image Via Here

There really weren't that many things that I feared at night. I had a nice sized bedroom all to myself. And I can really only recall being frightened at night a time or two. Both times I was frightened was because of noises I heard coming from my tiny closet.

My closet couldn't have been more than 3-ft. x 3-ft. in dimension. And since the bathroom was next door to my bedroom, my closet butted up against the bathtub in the bathroom. [The two shared a common wall.] It wasn't until I became a teenager that I realized what had caused the noises coming from my little closet.

We lived in a split-level home. Our bedrooms were on the top level, living room, dining room and kitchen on the middle level, and den, laundry and utility room the lower level. Directly beneath my closet, on the lower level, was the utility room. And directly beneath my closet sat the furnace and the hot water heater.

You got it... one time I am certain the noise was simply the furnace. And another, the hot water heater.

It wasn't until I was much older that I had an experience with the supernatural that I became scared of the dark! And even now, on occasion drive my hubby crazy with leaving a light on so I can see in the night!

Anyone else require a night light as an adult?

No comments: