Granny Dreher was a wonderful cook, and this was one dish that she simply excelled in! And it's perfect for St. Patrick's Day, or any day! Granny used to make this in the oven, but in her later years, she utilized the slow cooker.
Granny Dreher's Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 4 large red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut diagonally into quarters
- 3 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 corned beef brisket (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cut in half
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Place the onion, potatoes and carrots in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, vinegar, and pepper; pour over vegetables. Top with brisket and cabbage.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.