Monday, September 5, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun... Delayed Until Monday!

Okay, so not only was I sick on Saturday, but I also worked a full shift at my job! So, today is the first day in many that I've even got on the computer!

Many thanks to Randy Seaver for our Saturday Night Genealogy Challenges! Here was this past Saturday night's challenge!

Hey there, genea-lovers, it's Saturday Night - time for more Genealogy Fun!!
Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):

1) How old is your great-grandfather now, or how old would he be if he had lived? Divide this number by 4 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."

2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ahnentafel (ancestor name list). Who is that person?

3) Tell us three facts about that person with the "roulette number."

4) Write about it in a blog post on your own blog, in a Facebook or Google Plus note or comment, or as a comment on this blog post.

5) If you do not have a person's name for your "roulette number" then spin the wheel again - pick a grandparent, a parent, a favorite aunt or cousin, or even your children!


Okay, so I chose my great-grandfather William McHarvey Bean, who was born 26 Aug 1832 in Monroe County, [West] Virginia. If alive today, he would be 179 years old!
Dividing great-grandfather's age by four, I get the number 44.75 or rounding to the nearest whole number 45.

Number 45 in my Ahnentafel is Nancy Holsapple. My gr-gr-gr-grandmother. Here is what is written:
45.
Nancy HOLSAPPLE was born 1792 in Monroe County, Virginia. She died 1868 in Mt. Pleasant,

Iowa. She was the daughter of 90. Phillip HOLSAPPLE and 91. Elizabeth CARNIFAX. She married William

 CARNEFIX in Monroe County, VA.

I know that Nancy was the mother of 11 known children. Her son George was killed in a battle in Virginia during the Civil War and left my great-grandmother fatherless as a new baby. Nancy's ancestry leads us back to German heritage.

No comments: