Saturday, September 17, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #38 - Hobbies

Week #38 – Hobbies

Week 38: Hobbies. Did you have any hobbies as a child? Which ones?

Hobbies? Really????

This is one I am sure everyone will think I made up! Probaby think I couldn't come up with just one answer for this assignment, so I decided to write down just whatever popped into my head!

Truth of the matter is... as a child, I read. All the time! Often having 2 or 3 books going at the same time. Matter of fact... I still do! [Which is probably why I write a blog just for that! You can vist it here.] Thirty-nine this year. Novels that is! My yearly goal is 50 each year. I usually surpass that, but never less than that! [I like to average a novel a week, which is pretty good considering all of the other hats I wear! LOL]

I also collected horse statues. Loved them! Breyer horses especially. But as I grew older, I kept only a favored few that I was fond of.

I also loved architecture. My Mother once bought me an "Imagination House", which was a tool used by architect schools for training aspiring architects. It was walls and floors that could be configured to form any shape of house you wanted, in three dimensional form. And it was large enough, that Barbie had a new home every time I came up with a different floor plan! I played with that well into my teen years!

And lastly, I loved to go on long walks by myself. Still do! I would walk for hours through deserted areas. The woods in West Virginia. The swamps in Virginia! Mostly communing with nature. But sometimes day-dreaming of the handsome prince who would rescue me from the humdrum life of being a big sister! [Unfortunately, Prince Charles did not marry me! Instead, several years after I'd married, he chose Lady Di instead! Poor chap, doesn't realize to this day what he missed out on!]

And lest I forget... there was one more hobby. I kept a diary. It's been on-going since I was 9 and my aunt gave me a diary for a Christmas present that year.

As I grew up and later married, I picked up needlecrafts [sewing, knitting and crocheting], and lastly genealogy [which became my passion!].

What were your hobbies as you were growing up? Have they changed over the years? Did any of your children/ grandchildren develop the same hobbies you once had?

No comments: