Saturday, July 15, 2017

Surname Saturday - Oh My What A List!


Oh My! What a List!

The other day, I opened my genealogy program to the list of names, simply interested in just how many surnames I have researched for my family over the past 30 years. And the list has grown exponentially!

What started out as a college assignment, attempting to write a short 3 or 4 generation family tree, has extended from about 10 people to well over 16,000 individuals!

I decided to list the various surnames. I stopped when I got to the end of the 'A's'. For example, here is my list of the 'A' people (listed only by surnames):

Aalst
Abbott
Abell
Abney
Ackerman
Acord
Acuff
ADair
Adams
Adamson
Adelin
Adkins
Adwell
Agee
Aguilera
Aiken
Akins
Albanah
Albert
Albright
Alderson'
Aldridge
Alexander
Alford
Aliff
Allen
Allerton
Allison
Alpin
Altizer
Amell
Amos
Anderson
Andrews
Angel
Angermeuller
Angermiller
Angus
Anjou
Aramberry
Arbaugh
Archibald
Argabrite
Arles
Armentrout
Armetta
Armour
Armstrong
Arnold
Arnsby
Arrington
Artemenko
Arthur
Arundell
Ascott
Ash
Ashcraft
Ashley
Ashworth
Aston'Atha
Atholl
Atkins
Atkinson
Atkisson
Atwell
Aufdemberge
Aurginac
Austin
Astrasia
Autry
Avangino
Aveni
Avery
Ayers
Aylett

And that's simply the surnames beginning with 'A'!

This genealogy that I've done, just on my family has grown, and grown and grown some more! And continues to grow! All of my entries are verified through sources that are credible. (None of this copying someone elses tree!)

Have you checked to see how many people are in your genealogy database?

Each program is a little different than the other, but they are very much alike as well.

I am still running FTM (Family Tree Maker), and upgrade it each time it becomes available. To determine how many individuals are in my tree, I simply click on the PEOPLE tab. I am then given the opportunity to click on FAMILY  or PERSON. By clicking on FAMILY, an index of names comes up. And at the top left corner of the index, I am given a total count on the number of individuals that are in the tree. In this case: 16,344. (I started out with 2 surnames, my Mom's and my Dad's.)

Have you checked to see how large your family index has grown since you first began? How about checking now, and letting us know how many people are in your database? We'd love to hear from you!

No comments: