Friday, October 5, 2012

Family Recipe Friday - Corn Pone


I have often been asking quite silly questions from individuals about what we eat in West Virginia. You know what I mean, those stereotypical ideas that we all haven’t any teeth, and we eat opossum and hog jowls, etc.

However, there are some of those stereotypical food questions that aren’t far the truth. And which I can tell you are some “good eats”.

One of them that I am asked about is “corn pone”.

What is it. Does it taste good? How do you make it?

First of all, corn pone is a basic cornbread recipe, made without using eggs, so there is no loft to it. It also doesn’t utilize baking powder for rise. So it is flat.

Does it taste good? It has been my experience that individuals either love it; or hate it. Seldom an in-between.

How do you make it?

The way my grandmother used to make corn pone [which she called skillet bread] was as follows:

Ingredients:

2-cups stone ground cornmeal

1-teaspoon salt

1-1/2 cups cold water

4-tablespoons lard [I use vegetable oil when I make it today]

 

Directions:

In a medium mixing bowl mix all ingredients until blended together well.

Get your cast iron skillet hot over medium heat, add enough lard to keep cakes from sticking, you want to cook them…not fry them.

Drop batter using a large spoon [about the size of a large table serving spoon] into the skillet. [A 9-inch skillet usually only cooks one at a time.]

Cook until golden brown, then turn over and cook other side until same.

Serve while hot.

These can be served with butter, jelly or jam, syrup, or my favorite – molasses.

These are excellent paired with pinto beans. Or greens of any kind.

No comments: