Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sentimental Sunday - All Those Orphan Photos

I am sure I am not alone when I say I collect the photographs of my family. I have, literally, thousands. And, of course, along the way, there have been those photographs which were unidentifiable. Oh, they came from numerous sources. They were, perhaps, found in a box of grandmother's old photographs; or Uncle's tobacco box after he passed away; or tucked in some distant cousins Bible.

I cannot bear to part with any of them, thinking that perhaps one day I will find the identity of these individuals. And so, for the next few weeks, I will be posting some of this collection on Sentimental Sunday's. I can't thin of a more appropriate title!


This unidentified man and woman are balancing on the very narrow ends of a stack of lumber. A stack this high, one considers the possibilities that the photograph might have been taken in a lumber yard.

Because of their dress, it is hard to say the date this was taken. I am going to make a guess at between 1930-1940.

The photo is from a collection my Uncle had. He passed away in 1972. He lived in West Virginia his entire life. The photo may have been taken there. And the young man pictured may actually b my uncle, but no one is willing to say for sure as "Well, it kinda looks like him, but then I'm not sure, so don't say it is him!".

Do you have any orphan photographs from your family?

1 comment:

Debora K said...

I also have many orphan photos that were in a box of my mother's things. Many were WWII soldiers, and I started a special page for them at my family photo blog in the hopes that they will be found somehow.

http://wyklekinphoto.wordpress.com/rosies-soldier-boys/

There is also a site called "Are You in My Photo" that I hope to upload some mystery images to in the future.