Sunday, April 17, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Restaurants

Week 16. Restaurants. What was your favorite local restaurant as a child? Where was it located, and what was your favorite meal? Did you know the staff personally? What is your favorite restaurant now?
I didn't have to think very hard about this one!!!

I grew up in the Naval seaport of Norfolk, Virginia [Dad was career Navy]. Some of my earliest memories are of eating seafood in the restaurants there!

My favorite was one Fass Brother's Fish House, located at Sinclair Circle.
[I found this vintage Fass Brothers sign on the net!]

Meals were served in family style fashion, with huge platters of food brought to your table!

On birthday's and special occasions, "Where would you like to go to eat?" was often the wuestion asked in our house. The answer was invariable... "Fass Brother's!" The food was excellent! And as you can see from the prices on the board... really great prices! [And you could eat all you want!]

There was one addendum added on birthdays.

After filling our tanks at Fass Brother's Fish House, we had to stop by Shoney's on the way home to purchase an entire...
strawberry pie!

Oh my! Nothing was as good as ending a meal with this delicious treat!!! And nobody did it as good as Shoney's!!!

Alas, during my last visit to Norfolk.... Fass Brother's Fish House is no longer there. And even though I've tried from several different Shoney's restaurants to purchase the same delicious strawberry pie. [ad yes, I admit it's still good], it's simply not as good as the ones they had when I was a kid growing up! They simply don't compare!

Today???

Well, I love our local Applebee's.
There the food is delicious, and the drinks flow. All at a price we can afford. [That's always a plus!]
I also enjoy a little restaurant near our home. It's located at Hart's Run, just off the I-64 exit.
Granny's Restaurant is a small place, with only seating for about 60-75 patrons at a time. They are open 7 days a week, and are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And the food is simply put, down-home cooking. [I've personally known some of the cooks over the years, and eaten at their homes!] Best yet... the prices can't be beat! You won't find a better bargain! If you're ever down our way... you've got to stop in. If you're not coming through at meal time, at least stop and have a piece of pie and cup of coffee!!! They make the best lemon meringue or coconut creme pie's in the world!!!

What was your favorite restaurant when you were growing up?

What is your favorite restaurant today???



1 comment:

Dorene from Ohio said...

I love the fish-shaped menu!