Monday, April 4, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #14

Week 14. Spring. What was spring like where and when you grew up? Describe not only the climate, but how the season influenced your activities, food choices, etc.

This was certainly a favorite assignment of mine so far!

My growing years were spent mainly in Norfolk, VA [the city by the sea!]. And we lived only a very short [few blocks] from the beautiful Azalea Gardens.

When these gardens began blooming, we knew that Spring had officially "sprung"!

Canals were dug from the bay inlet to allow for canal tours on boats through these gardens! But it's the beautiful walking tours through the botanical gardens that one doesn't want to miss!!! Growing up, this was a yearly spring excursion for Mom, my sister and I! We would pack a picnic hamper with our lunch, walk through the gardens and then settle down for a picnic. Usually this consisted of Mama's fried chicken! And believe me... that was a treat!

Spring always heralded the first picnic of the season, and that has always meant bringing in the new season with one of my favorites, potato salad! Yum!

But as I have grown a bit more mature in my tastes, today the herald of spring comes with the first taste of freshly cut asparagus from Dad's asparagus beds! But not steamed, or boiled.... no, no! For it to truly represent spring, one must drizzle the stalks with olive oil, shake on a little sea salt, and these delectables must be cooked out of doors on the grill!!!


Now that spells spring to me!!!

Well... that and....

...the arrival of Cadbury Creme Eggs in the stores!!!

1 comment:

Claudia said...

You are so right about the arrival of the Cadbury Eggs. I ate one about a month ago.