Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - "I Like It"

Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings brings us yet another wonderful SNGF challenge!

"Hey genea-philes, it's Saturday Night - time for more Genealogy Fun!!!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  A Facebook meme for women went viral this week - the "I Like It" meme which garnered responses like "I Like It ... On the Couch" or "I Like it ... on the Table."  The subject was "purse" - where to put their purse.  The mind boggled for awhile with some of the responses from supposedly proper genealogy ladies.

2)  Please write an "I Like It" post on the theme of "I like doing genealogy research" someplace, and why.

3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, in a comment or note on Facebook."

So, this wasn't a hard one for me to figure out... though it might be a little strange to some!

I like doing genealogy research at my local courthouse. The clerks point me in the right direction if I'm not sure where a certain record is kept, but otherwise I am left free to roam about and open close those large volumes of vital records and land records [court records are kept in the clerk's office].
Our Local Courthouse

I love standing next to the counter-height cabinets and laying those heavy ledgers out. Then opening up the thick heavy bindings.

There is a distinct odor to these records [you know that smell, right? Slightly musty, like old vellum and ink!] There is nothing that smells so like this! Except maybe the old newspaper office! [With newspapers that date back to the 1860's!]

So, my favorite place is the records room at the courthouse!

Here lately I've noticed that attorney's are no longer the only company I meet there. There's a few good ol' boys, and a few good ol' gals who are joining me there!

Will I see you there as well???

No comments: