Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Wedding Wednesday - Who Is That Couple?

That certain couple who were married 27 February 1998.
Can you guess who?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
Oh, there they are!
Boy, you don't realize how you have changed until you look back 19 years! We both had dark hair in those days! (I have snow white hair now, and he has salt and pepper colored hair, but his beard is snow white!)

On this day, we stood before my parents, my sister and her family, and a friend from my workplace. My daughter, Crystal, was my Maid of Honor, and two of my sons, Chris and Mike, acted as Best Men. (The twins were away at school when we were married.)

Since my dear hubby was from Texas, I thought it appropriate to get married in a little church I knew with the name of "Lone Star Baptist Church". So, I called the minister up, about 45 days before the wedding, and asked if he would be available to marry us. He said he would be glad to. But when I told him our names, he asked if it was a joke! (My name was Cynthia Beane, and the grooms name was John Henry.) When I explained it was not a joke, he agreed to perform the ceremony, but I could tell he was a bit hesitant.

One the day of the wedding, we all arrived at the church. We waited outside for nearly an hour, and the minister did not show up. Thankfully, my sister had a car phone. (Cell phones were still not popular then, although a few bigger cities had them.) So, hubby called the minister, who was very quick to head to the church. He later told me, he really did think I was joking, and had made up the names just to pull a prank on him!

The veil with floral headpiece and flowers I carried were all handmade by my sister. The tea-length suit was purchased from a catalog for a hundred dollars. His suit was borrowed from my Dad.

We later traveled to Monroe, Virginia and spent a week exploring the Natural Bridge Cavern, the Natural Bridge, and wax museum. And visited with the other two children who had not been able to get away from school for the wedding, who were also in Monroe.

It wasn't a grand wedding. Very small and intimate. And it almost didn't happen, because of a minister who thought the Bride was joking!

As we inch farther into 2017, we also inch closer to our 20th wedding anniversary. We couldn't be happier together as we begin a time of getting to be a little lazy (retirement) if we want. Well, he is retired. I on the other hand work a full time job as an insurance nurse/social worker, and own Mountain Genealogy. And am getting ready to begin writing an information blog for Baby Boomers. So, I am busier than ever in my life! But I love it!

We are finally without any kids in the house! And we have just us. Which while it can leave some feeling the empty nest, thankfully, I didn't go through that. We simply did away with any bedrooms besides our own, and now have two offices. His. And hers. And we enjoy being able to leave and go when we want to!

Are you married? Do you have funny stories to tell about your wedding? Did you get upset due to a blunder? Or did you roll with the punches? Be sure and let us know!


No comments: