Wednesday, March 1, 2017

It's The 1st of the Month - Have You Backed Up Your Files?

Today is March 1st. Have you backed up your genealogy files?

Why not?

Let me tell you the story of why I never miss backing up my files at least once a month, and sometimes even more often!

Back in 2006 I had a laptop, and I knew I should have been doing backups of all of my files, but I simply didn't. When one morning, I got up, grabbed my tea, and sat down to a laptop I had inadvertently left on all night. I went to turn it on, thinking it was off, and there was a popping sound, the smell of burnt wires, and smoke!

My hard drive was MELTED!

The lesson learned cost me dearly! Over $800 to find a professional who could pull my files out of the melted drive.

Don't be like I was, and regret and cry because you hadn't backed up your files!

On the first day of every month do a regular backup on your hard drive. I do that, and then I also do a backup on my external hard drive, as well as a third backup on a thumb drive. This includes my genealogy files, as well as all of my precious photographs.

It's still early! Get your files backed up before you go to bed tonight!


No comments: