Beginning with today, I will be posting our weekly menu for the coming week. Perhaps this will enlighten our future descendants as to what their ancestors ate during the 21st Century!
WEEKLY MENU FOR January 27 – February 2, 2013
Sunday – Beef & Mac, veggie, Italian bread
Monday – Beans and Cornbread, leafy greens
Tuesday - Potato Soup, homemade bread
Wednesday – Potpies
Thursday – Chili dogs and onion rings
Friday – Guacamole Omelet’s
Saturday – BBQ pork ribbettes, fried potatoes & onions, baked beans
Here’s the recipe I use for the Guacamole Omelet’s:
Makes 2 omelets .
1 large avocado, mashed
1 shallot minced
1 Serrano pepper, seeded and minced
½ lime, juice only
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
Pinch of salt
Dash of hot sauce
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon butter per omelet
Fresh cilantro, garnish
Hot sauce, garnish
Tortilla chips, garnish
1) To make the guacamole, mince shallot and Serrano very finely. Cube avocado and add it to the bowl and mash everything together [this is where a mortar and pestle may be helpful!]. It can be a little chunky.
2) Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and season with hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
3) Add a dab of butter to an omelet pan over medium heat [I use my trusty No.9 cast iron skillet!] Cook as you would normally for omelet, using half of the eggs.
4) Once egg is cooked for omelet, add half the guacamole mixture to one half of the cooked egg.
5) Once cooked thoroughly, fold in half and slide onto plate. Repeat for 2nd omelet.Garnish as desired.