Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories: December 13 - Holiday Travel

December 13 - Holiday Travel

Did you or your ancestors travel anywhere for Christmas? How did you travel and who traveled with you? Do you remember any special trips?

As far as I know... my ancestors spent their Christmas' at home.

We did travel on two Chraistmas' that I can recall. One Christmas with my Grandma Beane in West Virginia before she moved in with us [about 1963 or 1964] and one with my Grandma and Grandpa Dreher in 1969. As always, we traveled by car to spend Christmas with each one.

The first one [in 1963 or 1964] at Grandma Beane's, I only have vague recollections of.

I do remember that late the first night we were there my Uncle Edsel arrived, and he had grown quite a beard. He was a very young man then [about 24 or so]. His beard, like my Daddy's, was red. Well... my parents and he decided that since he had a beard he could play Santa Clause for us [my little sister and I].

I remember that I knew who he was the instant I saw him! And I laughed and squealed with delight as he was much fun! But Eydie [my baby sister... who was about 2 at the time] screamed bloody murder! And she wouldn't stop screaming!

Finally in desperation... Uncle Edsel went into the kitchen, heated water [Grandma didn't have running water] and shaved off his beard. The instant the beard was gone... poor little Eydie stopped screaming! [I tease her about that today!!!]

Of course... someplace... locked away in a safe place... there is a photo of Eydie screaming at the top of her lungs sitting on Santa's knee one Christmas shopping trip. I am on the other knee... smiling quite contentedly!

But I won't be totally mean and show that! [tee-hee]

Aren't Christmas memories so much fun?


This post is a part of the "Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories" meme created in 2007 by Thomas and Jasia. You, too, can write your own Christmas memories, either for your personal journal or blog. Visit Geneabloggers to participate and to read others' posts on these topics.

No comments: