Sunday, August 16, 2009

Saturday Night Challenge - on Sunday Morning!

Last night Randy Seaver gave his Saturday Night Challenge. And as always, it's Sunday morning before I get the chance to read it!

Here's the challenge:

1) Answer these questions:

* What is your UGG - your "Ultimate Genealogy Goal" for the genealogy research that you wish to leave to your heirs, descendants and the genealogy community?

* How long do you think you have left to fulfill this ultimate goal?

* Are you prioritizing your time adequately in order to achieve this goal?

* If not, what should you do to achieve the goal?

* Will you do what you need to do?

So, for Randy, and everyone who chances to read my response, here it is:

1] My UGG - "Ultimate Genealogy Goal - has been to publish a fully documented set of genealogy books - in paper and digital format - of my own ancestry, my husband's ancestry and for the Dreher and Banet names. [Oops! Did I just steal Randy's goal??? Not really. It just so happens that our genealogy goals are very similar! The difference is that I have already published a fully documented genealogy books on my Dad's family, the Bean's. I'd like to update it now. And do a complementary book on each of the lineal branches of this family: Faudree's, Perkins, Wiseman's.]

2] I think that I have a good 35 - 40 years left to finish my task. [My mother's grandmother lived to the ripe old age of 98! My Dad's family is well known to live into their 90's! I'm 50 this year, so I feel I have adequate time to accomplish my goals. Providing I do not procrastinate!]

3] I have not prioritized my time adequately in order to achieve my goals. If I'm lucky, I also spend about 5 - 10 hours a week on my own work.

4] To achieve the UGG, I SHOULD stop blogging, stop spending time on Facebook and GenWise, reading blogs, etc. I should begin to set a determinate amount of time daily for my genealogy research business, and a determinate amount of time on my own research! [I currently get started on a project, and end up spending hours and hours without a break daily! Sometimes going for 20 hours or more before stopping!] My hubby is only home on weekends, and as my children all live away, I have all the time I choose to spend on my own pursuits.

5] Will I do what I need to do in order to achieve my UGG? Maybe. I will probably stick to it some days. But when I get caught up in someone elses research, or reading my favorite blogs, I will most likely digress and spend time on my other areas.

I agree with Randy. This wasn't exactly a "FUN" challenge. But I do agree that it is a necessary one. We need to keep track of our goals and our progress to reach them.

Now, I do believe I have 50 more genealogy blogs to read this morning. Better get started....later on my UGG!!!

No comments: