Friday, December 7, 2012

Family Recipe Friday - A Squash Kind of Day!


Each Friday I share a recipe with you, that may or may not be from an ancestor. Most of these are recipes that I use all the time in my cooking, and are recorded here for my grandchildren when they get older.

Today I want to share with you my yellow squash and zucchini with onions.

First, let me assure you, that if you are looking for a dish that has great presentation, this is NOT the one you want to use! It doesn’t present  well. But if you are looking for the simplest, easiest and tastiest veggie dish ever, then this is the one! Prep time is minimal [maybe 5 to 10 minutes, tops!], and the cook time is about 15 minutes! So it’s really fast. Very healthy. And the taste is unbelievable.

Yellow Squash, Zucchini and Onions

Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 medium yellow squash, washed

2 medium zucchini, washed

1 large yellow onion, sliced thin

2 tablespoons butter [do not use margarine]

Salt & Pepper to taste

 

With a sharp knife, slice the squash and zucchini into thin slices.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Toss in the onion slices. Stir fry just until the onion begins to get translucent, then add the squash and zucchini and fry just until they begin to soften. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

This makes an excellent side dish.

I have also added fresh chopped tomato, and topped with shredded parmesan cheese.  How many ways can you think of to “dress” this dish up?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You share a wonderful recipe with us , I really like that recipe. It is looking delicious and I hope you share more among us. I will try this recipe on my own and will make according to your instructions. This Friday recipe will surely be loved by my family.

ocala best catering