Thursday, April 19, 2018

A Good Swift Kick In The...

A Good Swift Kick In The...


   Sometimes it takes being told that your job is ending to find your true calling. And sometimes, the true calling comes before the end of the job. That's what has happened to me.

    I have been working for the past 6 years in my original calling, nursing. It is a job that I love. Except for the bizarre, obnoxious, and demeaning paperwork (computer work?) that goes with it. I first worked with a nursing home. I love the elderly and couldn't imagine life without working with them. (I've worked in geriatrics for 30 years.) But the change has become so great over the years, that I found myself hating to go to work each day. And then, I hurt my back. There went my job. Or so I thought.

    Three years ago, I found a job with a contractor who worked with a huge health insurance company. I became a sub-contractor with them. I enjoyed being able to work on my own, visiting my clients in their home, and still performing as a nurse. The autonomy reminded me of what I enjoyed owning my own genealogy research firm. The paperwork (via computer again), was another matter. That work had to be done at home, as I live in a rural area, and no reception for cell phones or WiFi in most places. It had become a real pain in the tushy! I got to the point that when I got home I would sit in the car hating the fact that when I went in the door I had to head straight to the computer and chart!






    It seemed the only "dream" job I ever loved was working with genealogy research. My business, while never closed, after 12 years, has sat pretty dormant for the past 6 years. But it is back. Alive and prospering. I simply needed a good swift kick in the....pants to get it going again!

    As of May 13th genealogy is my main business.

    You know, we really need to remind ourselves of what our grandparents used to say...
"When God closes one door, He always opens another!"

    They were so right!

    Hope you are all having a fantastic Thursday!

No comments: